Merillat Cabinet Reviews – Price – Tips
Merillat cabinets have been a popular brand of kitchen and bathroom cabinetry in North America for over 70 years. The company originated in Michigan in the 1940s as a maker of quality wood office furniture. In the 1960s, Merillat expanded into kitchen cabinets and became a leading manufacturer of cabinets for residential and commercial use.
Merillat was acquired by the Fortune 500 company Masco in the 1980s and has continued to grow and modernize its operations over the decades. As of 2022, Merillat operates five manufacturing plants in the United States and Canada and has a network of over 4,000 retailers.
The Merillat brand aims to provide durable, stylish cabinets across a range of prices. They offer stock, semi-custom, and custom cabinetry in a variety of wood, laminate, and painted finishes. Merillat cabinets are marketed as a mid-priced cabinet option between entry-level brands and premium lines.
Merrilat Cabinet Reviews
Merrilat cabinets are manufactured by MasterBrand Cabinets, one of the leading cabinet makers in the United States. Here are some merillat cabinet reviews from customers who have installed them in their homes:
Quality and Durability
Many reviewers praise the quality construction and durability of Merrilat cabinets. The cabinet boxes are made from 3/4″ thick plywood with dovetail joinery, while the doors feature quality finishes and detailing. Owners report that Merrilat cabinets maintain their beauty and function for years of heavy use. The soft-close doors and drawers are also appreciated.
“We remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago and chose Merrilat cabinets. They still look brand new – no scratches, warping or cracking despite having three kids. We cook a lot and use the kitchen heavily, so that says a lot about how sturdy these cabinets are.”
With numerous door styles, finishes, and accessory options, Merrilat offers cabinet designs to suit a wide range of home décor tastes. Reviewers love being able to find just the right look, from traditional to contemporary to cottage. The attractive craftsman details get rave reviews.
“I was able to find a Merrilat style that perfectly suits my modern farmhouse kitchen. The shaker cabinets have just the right amount of detail without being too ornate. I get compliments from everyone who walks into my kitchen.”
Storage and Organization
Maximizing kitchen storage space is made easy with Merrilat’s accessories and organizational inserts. Customers praise the thoughtful designs like spice drawers, tiered cutlery dividers, pull-out trays, and angled tray storage. Tall pantry cabinets with adjustable shelves also get high marks.
“The storage options are what sold me on Merrilat. I have everything thoughtfully organized from pans to spices to cutting boards. My new kitchen has twice the functional storage space of my old one.”
Ease of Assembly
Many homeowners choose to install their Merrilat cabinets themselves rather than hire a contractor. The cam and dowel assembly system with pre-drilled holes makes the installation process straightforward even for novices. All the necessary hardware and detailed instructions are included.
“Assembling the cabinets was easier than I expected. The instructions were very clear and showed each step. I was able to install my entire kitchen solo over a few weekends.”
Quality of Finishes
From natural wood stains to painted finishes, reviewers say the quality of Merrilat’s cabinet finishes surpasses competitors. Stains absorb evenly on the wood, while paints adhere smoothly without dripping or requiring too many coats. The finishes also hold up well over time.
“I opted for a painted white finish in a smooth matte look. The primer and paint went on so evenly I thought they were pre-finished. My cabinets still look freshly painted even 3 years later.”
Customer Service Experience
Many reviewers also praise Merrilat’s customer service. Their kitchen designers help select cabinets and layouts. The delivery process goes smoothly. Any service needs or problems that arose were handled promptly by the company’s service department.
“We had an issue with one defective door that arrived with a scratch. Merrilat immediately overnight shipped a replacement free of charge. Their customer service is excellent.”
Merrilat Cabinet Costs
The cost of Merrilat cabinets can vary based on several factors:
Merrilat offers good, better, and best cabinet lines with ascending levels of quality and price:
- Paramount: Their best line, made from solid wood and with added features and accessories. Price range of $650 – $900 per linear foot installed.
- Legacy: Their mid-range line, with plywood construction and plenty of design options. Price range of $450 – $700 per linear foot installed.
- Ovation: The most affordable line with laminate finishes instead of wood. Price range of $300 – $500 per linear foot installed.
Simple slab cabinet doors are the most affordable, while intricate raised panel or recessed panel doors are pricier. Custom decorative door inserts, glass fronts, and exotic veneers can add cost. Expect to pay $100 – $300 more per linear foot for high-end door styles.
Stained wood finishes are more affordable than painted and specialty finishes. Painted cabinets run $100 – $200 more per linear foot. Distressed finishes, glazes and unique finishes like metal can increase the price $250+ per linear foot.
Add-ons like roll out trays, spice drawers, cutlery organizers, and lazy susans make cabinets more functional but also add cost. Expect to pay $50 – $200 per accessory.
Labor, delivery, and installation costs vary by geographic location. Cabinet prices are typically 15 – 20% higher in areas with higher wages like California and New York.
To get an accurate price quote, use Merrilat’s online calculator or visit a kitchen design showroom. Expect to pay $300 – $900 per linear foot depending on the factors above.
Tips for Choosing Merrilat Cabinets
Here are helpful tips for selecting the perfect Merrilat cabinets for your kitchen or bath:
- Take accurate measurements of your space to determine what size and how many cabinets you need. Include windows, doors, and appliances.
- Decide on a style that fits your home’s décor – traditional, contemporary, or a blend. Merrilat has options for every taste.
- Choose a durable finish that suits your lifestyle. High-gloss paint shows fingerprints but is easy to clean. Natural wood stains hide scratches better.
- Opt for soft-close hinges and drawers that close quietly and smoothly. This feature is worth the small upcharge.
- Incorporate clever storage solutions like pull-out shelving, cabinet lazy susans, and custom inserts to maximize usable space.
- Select an on-trend color like navy blue, matte black, or sage green for the cabinets rather than basic white or wood tones.
- Mix up depth, height, and widths of wall and base cabinets for a unique look. Consider tall pantry cabinets and angled cabinets.
- Choose eco-friendly materials like formaldehyde-free plywood and low-VOC finishes to reduce indoor air pollution.
- Order samples to view door styles, wood grains, and paint colors in person before finalizing your order.
Tips for Installing Merrilat Cabinets
Proper installation is key to getting the most beauty and function from your Merrilat cabinets. Consider these tips:
- Review the detailed installation manuals and watch training videos from Merrilat before beginning.
- Make sure you have the right tools – drill, level, screwdriver, saw, etc. Consider renting specialized tools.
- Take care to measure and level the cabinets precisely. This takes time but is crucial.
- Drill pilot holes before driving screws to prevent splitting the wood. Follow recommended screwing patterns.
- Work systematically from the corner base cabinets outward to complete the installation efficiently.
- Follow all clearance specs between cabinets and walls, ceilings, islands, and appliances.
- Use shims provided by Merrilat to level cabinets and fill any gaps. Secure with screws.
- Caulk along the tops, bottoms, and sides of cabinet frames where they meet walls to prevent moisture damage.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions precisely for installing specialty pieces like angled cabinets, fillers, and valances.
Tips for Caring for Merrilat Cabinets
To keep your Merrilat cabinets looking like new for years to come:
- Use microfiber cloths to gently dust cabinets weekly and immediately wipe up spills and splatters to prevent staining.
- Clean cabinets with a mild soap and water solution. Avoid harsh cleaners or abrasive pads/sponges.
- Promptly wipe down any water splashed on cabinets near a sink or dishwasher to prevent swelling and peeling.
- Consider having cabinets professionally repainted every 5-8 years to refresh the color and coverage.
- Inspect hinges and drawer glides periodically and tighten any loose screws to prevent sagging doors.
- Replace any cracked, chipped, or broken pieces like doors and drawer fronts promptly to prevent further damage.
- Use cabinet door stops to prevent knobs/pulls from slamming into doors and causing nicks or cracks.
- Open doors and drawers slowly and gently to prevent unnecessary strain on the joints. The soft-close mechanisms help prevent slamming.
- Apply beeswax or other wood conditioner 1-2 times per year to nourish and protect the wood cabinet finishes.
Merrilat cabinets are known for gorgeous style, smart storage, and lasting quality. By considering merillat cabinet reviews, costs, design tips, installation advice, and care recommendations, you can select and maintain Merrilat cabinets that will be both beautiful and functional for years to come. With proper selection and care, Merrilat cabinetry is a wise investment that can increase the comfort and value of your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do Merillat cabinets cost compared to other brands?
Merillat cabinets are typically priced in the mid-range, from $80-300 per linear foot depending on the level of customization and features. This makes them more affordable than premium brands like KraftMaid or Kemper that can cost $400+ per linear foot, but more expensive than discount brands like Home Depot’s Hampton Bay that cost $50-100 per foot. Overall, Merillat offers good value given their quality and design options.
What quality issues or complaints are there with Merillat cabinets?
While the majority of reviews for Merillat are quite positive, there are some quality concerns reported occasionally. These include doors that warp slightly over time, inconsistent paint/finish, and chipped corners if the cabinets are improperly installed or handled roughly. However, when bought through a reputable local retailer, Merillat generally provides a good warranty and service if any issues arise.
Should I hire a contractor or install Merillat cabinets myself?
Installing kitchen cabinets properly is a challenging DIY project, so hiring an experienced kitchen contractor is advisable for most homeowners. However, for those with carpentry skills and time, Merillat’s stock cabinets can feasibly be installed as a DIY. All necessary instructions and hardware should be included. Some key tips are to start on a level surface, secure cabinets properly to studs, attach adjacent cabinets together snugly, and take your time.
How long do Merillat cabinets last compared to other brands?
With proper care and maintenance, Merillat cabinets are expected to last 15-20 years on average for the original owner. Higher-end brands tout a lifespan of 20-30+ years. The longevity comes down to quality of materials, construction, and installation. Merillat uses plywood boxes, durable finishes and hardware designed for daily kitchen use. Following care guidelines will maximize the lifespan of your investment.
Should I get Merillat cabinets for a rental property or Airbnb?
Merillat can make a good choice for a rental property or Airbnb that sees moderate to heavy use. The brand’s quality and affordable pricing balance the need for durable, low-maintenance cabinets in a space that will see changing tenants. Choose medium or lighter stain colors that appeal to varied renters over very dark stains. Opt for stock cabinets rather than higher-end customizations. Prioritize storage and simplicity of design over ornate details.
What are the most popular Merillat cabinet styles and finishes?
According to retailers, Merillat’s Shaker, Slab and Craftsman styles in wood door designs tend to be among the most popular. For painted finishes, white, gray and navy are today’s top choices for a classic, clean look. Stain options come in a range from cherry to espresso. Choosing among popular options when reselling can make it easier for the next owner. But opt for your own style if living there long term.