A Comprehensive Guide to KraftMaid Cabinets: Reviews, Prices, and Tips
KraftMaid is one of the most popular cabinet brands on the market today. Known for their quality craftsmanship and wide range of styles, KraftMaid cabinets are a great option for any kitchen or bathroom remodel. But how do you know if KraftMaid is the right brand for your project? This comprehensive guide will provide kraftmaid cabinets reviews, pricing information, and tips for choosing, installing, and caring for KraftMaid cabinets. With the right information, you can determine if KraftMaid is the best cabinetry choice for your needs and budget.
Overview of KraftMaid Cabinetry
KraftMaid is an American cabinetry brand that has been in business for over 50 years. Headquartered in Ohio, KraftMaid offers a wide selection of cabinet designs and finishes for kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and more. Here are some key facts about KraftMaid cabinetry:
- Founded in 1969 in Middlefield, Ohio
- Offers over 500 door styles and 80 finish options
- Cabinetry is available framed and frameless
- Manufactures kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and utility cabinetry
- Known for quality construction and durability
- Brand is available through kitchen and bath showrooms
KraftMaid has built a reputation for excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail in their cabinet designs. Their cabinet boxes feature durable 3⁄4” solid wood face frames, full extension drawers with soft-close mechanisms, and adjustable shelves. Hardware and finishes are top-notch, giving cabinets a high-end look.
KraftMaid Cabinet Reviews
KraftMaid cabinets are generally well-reviewed by homeowners, designers, and industry experts. Here are some of the pros and cons of KraftMaid cabinetry according to customer reviews:
- Large variety of styles and finishes
- Sturdy construction and quality materials
- Soft-close drawers and doors are standard
- Easy to customize with accessories
- Good warranty coverage
- Excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail
- Cabinetry is expensive compared to other brands
- Long lead times for custom orders (6-8 weeks)
- Limited sink base cabinet options
- Occasional shipping damages
Overall, reviews indicate that KraftMaid manufactures some of the highest quality cabinetry on the market. The vast majority of customers have been very satisfied with the look, construction, functionality and durability of their KraftMaid cabinets. Most negative reviews focus on the lead times and higher pricing.
KraftMaid Cabinet Cost and Pricing
KraftMaid cabinets are sold exclusively through kitchen and bath showrooms. This means that pricing is not readily available online. However, here are some averages for KraftMaid cabinet costs:
- Stock cabinets: $100 – $300 per linear foot
- Semi-custom: $200 – $400 per linear foot
- Fully custom: $500+ per linear foot
Of course, prices can vary widely depending on the style you choose, construction, finish, and any customizations or accessories. Expect to pay approximately 30-50% more for KraftMaid cabinets compared to brands like Hampton Bay or Diamond Cabinets. The higher cost reflects the quality construction and materials.
Whether you opt for stock, semi-custom or fully custom design, expect to pay a premium price for KraftMaid cabinets. Get multiple quotes to find the best pricing in your area. Many showrooms will work with you on pricing, especially if you purchase multiple kitchens.
Tips for Buying KraftMaid Cabinets
Follow these tips to select the perfect KraftMaid cabinets for your space:
- Choose a style first: KraftMaid offers everything from traditional to contemporary so settle on a door style you love. This will guide the rest of your design.
- Select durable finishes: Look for finishes like thermofoil or polyurethane that resist chipping and stand up well to moisture and daily wear-and-tear.
- Invest in soft-close mechanisms: Soft-close hinges and drawers prevent slamming and make cabinets easier to use. They’re worth the extra cost.
- Opt for full extension drawers: KraftMaid’s full extension drawers let you easily access the entire depth of the drawer.
- Add functional accessories: Take advantage of KraftMaid’s organizational accessories like cutlery dividers, spice racks, and pull-out shelves.
- Seek qualified installers: Hire professional kitchen installers who are familiar with installing KraftMaid’s high-end cabinetry.
- Compare pricing: Get quotes from 2-3 showrooms before purchasing to find the best deal.
Taking the time to make the right design and purchasing decisions will ensure you’ll love your KraftMaid cabinetry for years to come.
Installing KraftMaid Cabinets
The key to a successful KraftMaid cabinet installation is working with qualified kitchen professionals. Here are some tips:
- Hire an installer familiar with KraftMaid products – the high-end cabinets require expertise to install properly.
- Carefully measure your space and develop detailed plans for cabinetry placement.
- KraftMaid can send a specialist to inspect prior to delivery if needed.
- Unpack cabinets gently and inspect for any damage before installing.
- Follow all manufacturer guidelines for installing wall cabinets first, then base.
- Use shims as needed to ensure cabinets are plumb and level.
- Secure cabinets firmly to studs in the wall. Anchor to floor for stability.
- Take care not to damage cabinet finishes during install. Use painter’s tape as needed.
- Confirm all cabinets open and close smoothly once installed. Make any final adjustments.
While a professional installer does add cost, it’s highly recommended for KraftMaid’s quality cabinets. Taking the time to properly install them will add years of enjoyment.
Caring for KraftMaid Cabinets
KraftMaid cabinets are designed to last, but proper care is essential. Here are some tips for maintaining your investment:
- Use microfiber cloths to gently wipe cabinet exteriors. Avoid harsh cleaners or abrasive pads.
- Use soapy water to clean interiors. Dry immediately to avoid damage.
- Check door hinges and drawers for signs of loosening. Tighten screws as needed.
- Inspect cabinets annually for any damage, wear-and-tear, or issues. Address any problems promptly.
- Consider having cabinets professionally cleaned every 2-3 years to keep finishes looking their best.
- Use cutting boards and protect cabinet surfaces when prepping food.
- Immediately clean up any spills, splatters or water to avoid permanent stains or damage.
By properly caring for them, your KraftMaid cabinets can stay beautiful and functional for 20+ years. Taking time to regularly inspect and clean your cabinets is the best way to protect your investment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are KraftMaid cabinets worth the higher price?
A: KraftMaid cabinets come at a premium price, but most homeowners find the investment worthwhile. You’re paying for quality materials, durable construction, and exquisite craftsmanship. The result is kitchen cabinets that look amazing and function flawlessly for decades.
Q: Where can I view and purchase KraftMaid cabinets?
A: KraftMaid is sold exclusively through kitchen and bath showrooms. This allows you to view cabinet door styles and finishes in person before purchase. Kitchen designers at showrooms can also assist you with design ideas.
Q: How long is the lead time on KraftMaid cabinet orders?
A: From the time you place your order, expect a 6-8 week lead time for KraftMaid cabinets. Custom orders with specialty finishes or modifications may take longer. Factor these timeframes in when planning your kitchen or bath remodel.
Q: What warranty is included with KraftMaid cabinets?
A: KraftMaid offers a limited lifetime warranty on all cabinetry. This covers defects in materials and workmanship. Some limitations apply, so review warranty details closely.
Q: Does KraftMaid offer matching kitchen and bathroom cabinets?
A: Yes! KraftMaid’s matching programs allow you to select kitchen and bathroom cabinetry from the same style and finish selection. This creates a cohesive look throughout the home.
Q: Are KraftMaid cabinets environmentally friendly?
A: KraftMaid takes steps to use recycled materials and low VOC finishes in their cabinet construction. However, they do use some composite woods that off-gas formaldehyde. If this is a concern for you, choose another brand.
With their wide array of styles, durable construction, and flawless craftsmanship, it’s easy to see why KraftMaid is popular with remodelers and designers. Their cabinets stand out for both aesthetics and functionality. While KraftMaid represents a significant investment, most homeowners find the splurge worthwhile for kitchen and bathroom cabinets that will last for decades. Use this guide to choose the perfect KraftMaid cabinets for your space, get the lowest price, and care for them properly once installed. With KraftMaid cabinetry, you can be assured of quality, beauty and enduring performance for your next remodeling project.