Waypoint Cabinets Reviews – Price – Tips
Waypoint Cabinets are becoming an increasingly popular option for kitchen and bathroom remodeling projects. As a made-to-order cabinet brand, Waypoint offers high-quality cabinets with plenty of customization options. But how do Waypoint Cabinets really stack up? This detailed guide provides everything you need to know, including Waypoint Cabinet reviews, pricing, tips for buying, and more.
An Overview of Waypoint Cabinets
Waypoint Cabinets was founded in 2008 by a group of cabinet industry veterans in Manning, South Carolina. The goal was to create a high-quality, American-made cabinetry brand that offered customization at reasonable prices.
Waypoint operates their own manufacturing facility in South Carolina where they employ over 300 people. This allows them to closely oversee and control quality. Waypoint uses domestically-sourced hardwoods and materials in their cabinet construction.
Some of the most popular Waypoint Cabinet door styles include:
- Lexington – A simple shaker-style door with a smooth finish. Available in slab, 5-piece, or 3-piece.
- Merrill – A shaker door with deeper profile and subtle bead for shadow lines. Available in 5 or 3-piece.
- Kendall – A wide rail and stile shaker door with rounded corners. Has a decorative scooped profile.
- Sylvan – A non-shaker style door with a wide wood frame and inset wood center panel. Has a profiled edge.
- Fairfield – An inset cabinet door with a mitered decorative outer border. Panel has arched shaping.
- Hartford – An elaborate wide rail and stile inset door with raised center wood panel. Beaded detailing.
In addition to cabinet doors, Waypoint offers matching accessories like decorative corbels, feet, crown molding, light rails, and valances.
The company provides a streamlined process for ordering personalized cabinets along with an industry-leading lifetime warranty on their cabinet boxes and drawers. This combination provides made-to-order customization with quicker turnaround times.
Waypoint continues to expand their distribution through authorized dealer showrooms across America. While not as ubiquitous as big box brands, Waypoint strives to make designer-level customization more accessible to a wide range of homeowners and remodelers.
- Made-to-Order: Waypoint Cabinets are made-to-order and custom-built for each order. This allows for total customization.
- Quick Lead Times: Despite being custom-made, Waypoint promises lead times of 2-3 weeks.
- Variety of Styles: Choose from various door styles including shaker, inset, overlay, and more. Stain, paint, glaze, and distress finishes are also available.
- Large Range of Sizes: Waypoint has over 40 cabinet sizes including standard kitchen sizes and sizes for bathroom vanities.
- High-Quality Materials: Waypoint uses moisture-resistant plywood boxes, soft-close drawer guides, and your choice of wood species.
- Lifetime Warranty: Waypoint offers a limited lifetime warranty on their cabinet boxes and drawers.
Waypoint Cabinets Pricing
As a made-to-order product with endless customization options, Waypoint Cabinet pricing can vary widely. Here are some key factors that impact the cost of Waypoint Cabinets:
- Cabinet Style: Simple Shaker-style cabinets are the most affordable option, while intricate inset cabinets are pricier.
- Wood Type: Oak and maple cabinets tend to be the most budget-friendly wood species. More premium woods like cherry and hickory cost more.
- Door Style: Slab cabinet doors are the most affordable door style. More complex door designs add cost.
- Finish Option: Staining is the most budget-friendly finish. Painted, glazed, and distressed finishes have an upcharge.
- Hardware: Basic hardware is included in the cabinet price. Upgrades quickly add cost.
- Accessories: Additional storage accessories like roll-out trays, spice pull outs, and more add cost.
To give you a general idea, here are some approximate price ranges:
- Stock Shaker Cabinets: $80 – $200 per linear foot
- Semi-Custom Cabinets: $200 – $350 per linear foot
- Fully Custom Cabinets: $350+ per linear foot
These ranges account for material costs only. Labor, delivery, installation, and countertops will be additional expenses.
Waypoint Cabinets Review – Pros and Cons
Based on feedback from both homeowners and contractors, here is an overview of the biggest pros and cons of choosing Waypoint Cabinets:
Pros of Waypoint Cabinets
- Highly customizable since they are made-to-order
- Fast lead times despite being custom-built
- Wide variety of sizes including standard and unique sizes
- Lifetime warranty on boxes and drawers
- Very good quality for a mid-range price point
- Made in the USA
Potential Downsides to Consider
- No in-stock options – must be planned in advance
- Limited dealer network compared to other brands
- Can be pricier than big box cabinet brands
- Quality not as high-end as some premium brands
- Limited color palette compared to painted cabinetry
Tips for Buying Waypoint Cabinets
Ready to purchase Waypoint Cabinets? Use these tips to make the buying process smooth and successful:
Find an Authorized Dealer
Waypoint Cabinets are only sold through authorized dealer showrooms. Search online or call Waypoint to find options in your area. Be sure to visit showrooms to see product samples.
Since Waypoint Cabinets are made-to-order, you must fully plan your kitchen or bathroom design before ordering. The more you customize, the longer the lead time.
Get Accurate Measurements
Provide your dealer with highly detailed measurements to ensure your cabinets are sized correctly. Even small errors can lead to issues during installation.
Choose Coordinating Styles
Match the style of your Waypoint Cabinets to your counters, flooring, hardware, and appliances for a cohesive look.
Factor in the Full Budget
Beyond the cabinet cost, remember to account for delivery, installation, countertops, and any specialty storage accessories. Get itemized quotes.
Many dealers can provide material swatches or door samples so you can view finishes. Samples help prevent surprises.
Communicate All Details
Provide your dealer with all finish selections, accessories, modifications, and any other details so nothing is missed on your order.
Allow Time for Delivery
Most Waypoint orders arrive 2-3 weeks after ordering, but larger orders or shipping distance may add time. Avoid delays by planning accordingly.
Quality Construction of Waypoint Cabinets
One of the biggest selling points of Waypoint Cabinets is their commitment to quality construction and materials. Here are some of the highlights:
- All wood cabinets are constructed from top quality North American hardwoods such as oak, maple, cherry, and hickory. Veneers are not used.
- Moisture-resistant plywood with screw-holding ability is used for strong and stable cabinet boxes.
- Precision European style metal cam and dowel joinery provides durability and prevents loosening over time.
- Full extension soft-close drawer guides rated for 75-100 lbs ensure smooth operation.
- Door hinges are fully adjustable for fine-tuning alignment after installation.
- Choice of 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch plywood construction for cabinet sides depending on size and use.
- Protective UV-cured acrylic finish is cleanly sprayed on in climate controlled paint booths.
- Limited lifetime warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship.
By controlling their own manufacturing process in South Carolina, Waypoint can closely monitor each step of construction and quality control. This attention to detail allows them to offer a mid-priced product that still meets high standards for fit, finish, and durability.
Many homeowners and remodelers find that Waypoint offers greater quality and customization than similarly priced big box cabinet brands. The company stands behind their work with strong warranties as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have some questions about Waypoint Cabinets? These answers to common questions can help:
Are Waypoint Cabinets only available unfinished?
No, while many Waypoint Cabinets are stained on-site, they also offer a variety of painted finishes. However, the color selection for painted Waypoints is more limited than brands offering fully painted cabinets.
What is the best way to clean Waypoint Cabinets?
Clean Waypoint Cabinets by mixing a mild soap and warm water solution and wiping down all surfaces with a soft cloth. Avoid harsh cleaners or abrasives. For deeper cleaning, use a dedicated wood cabinet cleaner.
Can Waypoint Cabinets be ordered directly online?
Unfortunately, Waypoint does not sell directly to homeowners online. You must purchase through one of their authorized dealer showrooms after reviewing product samples.
How long is the warranty period for Waypoint Cabinets?
Waypoint offers a limited lifetime warranty on the cabinet boxes and drawers. Other components may have shorter warranty periods. Be sure to review warranty details with your dealer.
Are Waypoint Cabinets considered high-end cabinets?
Waypoint is generally categorized as a mid-to-upper-mid range cabinet brand. While not as premium as top tier custom brands, Waypoints offer very good quality and durability for the price.
Do Waypoint Cabinets need to be pre-assembled?
Waypoint Cabinets arrive ready for installation. The cabinet components will need to be attached to each other, but no assembly is required other than attaching doors and drawers.
Waypoint Cabinets offer homeowners the ability to design a fully customized kitchen or bathroom at a reasonable price point. Thanks to their made-to-order process, wide size range, array of finishes, and smooth ordering experience, Waypoint Cabinets combine convenience and customization.
If you’re seeking well-made cabinets with plenty of versatility, Waypoint is an excellent option to consider for your next remodeling project. Just be sure to plan carefully, find an authorized dealer, and communicate all selections clearly. With some smart preparation, Waypoint Cabinets can bring your unique vision to life.